Monday, June 1, 2009

Harvard Square

Jen and I drove into Cambridge on Saturday with the kids to check out Harvard! Our plan was to go on the tour at 11 with some of the other girls, but all of us didn't make it there in time so we did some exploring of our own for a bit...
(This old church is beautiful! Click on the pic and look at the detail.)

































It's all about history here and I can't help myself but to stop at every monument or old building and stare... this cemetery was interesting to me looking at rows and rows of hand carved small, medium and large headstones, most without any information on them.
This woman was playing a glass harmonica which was invented by Benjamin Franklin in 1761. It sounds beautiful! It's amazing how it's just glass, but plays complex music. Mozart and Beethoven composed pieces for this instrument as well. It's use died out because they didn't have ways to amplify the sound and it couldn't be heard in concert halls. This is a very rare talent now... online it said there are only a dozen or so performers worldwide. I would have lingered a little longer if I had known! I will try to catch it on video next time I head up if she is there.
There are bridges over all of the small and wide rivers and the water is filled with canoes and sailboats.













This building reminded us of the one in the movie Just Like Heaven.
As we drove by we noticed there are wall murals all over the area in color and black and white.











Neat old brick buildings line the streets everywhere you look.








The view of Boston from Cambridge

3 comments:

The Avery Family said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! What a fun experience for you guys!

nicopesci said...

I love cambridge so much. The area is incredible. My mom went to Harvard, so that was a place we visited a lot when we were younger and still go back and walk around every time we visit Boston.

Glad to see you're loving it there.

Michelle said...

Too bad you didn't see Matt Damon and Ben Affleck lol