Sunday, September 28, 2008

Let's DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

INCREASE YOUR GREEN!
I just wanted to encourage all of my friends and family to...
PLEASE RECYCLE!!!
I recently signed up with Orem City to have a recycling bin at my home and I have had so much fun recycling! It may sound weird, but it feels so good to throw away multiple phone books, plastic bottles (marked 1 or 2), cereal and cardboard boxes, junk mail, toilet paper and paper towel rolls, milk jugs, etc. into a recycle bin rather than the black hole of a trash can to go take up space in our landfills.
It is only a few more dollars per month and it is something we can all participate in.
(Anyone can also come use mine if they live in apartments/condos were it can be hard to get people to participate correctly to be able to sign up.)

Here are a couple interesting and important facts about recycling!
(From DoSomething.org)
  • If all of our newspapers were recycled, we could save about 250 million trees each year! If every American recycled just one-tenth of their newspapers, we could save about 25 million trees each year.
  • Recycling one ton (about 2,000 pounds) of paper saves 17 trees, two barrels of oil (enough to run the average car for 1,260 miles), 4,100 kilowatts of energy (enough power for the average home for six months), 3.2 cubic yards of landfill space, and 60 pounds of pollution.
  • The 17 trees saved by recycling one ton of paper can absorb a total of 250 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the air each year.
  • More than 20 million Hershey's Kisses are wrapped each day, using 133 square miles of aluminum foil. Believe it not, ALL that foil is recyclable, but not many people realize it so most it goes in the trash! (SMOOCH!)
  • Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours. In spite of this, Americans throw away enough aluminum to rebuild our entire commercial fleet of airplanes every three months!
  • Americans use 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour! (Also, using reusable water bottles instead of buying bottled water is a huge way to help the problem as well!)
  • About 80% of what Americans throw away is recyclable, yet our recycling rate is only 28%. (What! 28%?!? That is really sad!)

Who is already or will start recycling with me?

3 comments:

Coley said...

I called for my recycling bin the day the newsletter went out. We love it! I was shocked that we really dont need the garbage can any more. It is never even half way full on garbage day now and the recycling bin is over flowing! I love it too!

tracyjax said...

I am saving the hair clippings at work and sending them in--they can be used to make matts to soak up oil spills!

MaMaMaMandy said...

This year my work has gotten really into recycling- which makes me proud! I've recycled since I was little so it is only second nature to me! AZ does have a good recycling program with curbside pickup! Good for you in doing your part!