Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Keepin' Busy!

(I finally updated the last couple months, so check below for new posts!)

Having two boys is so much fun and a lot of work, especially since the two year old can do terrible things when I am busy nursing, bathing, changing the baby or showering, cooking or cleaning the house and not entertaining him. I am nursing Ryder as I type (sorry for the visual) and wondering why he keeps biting me and why Cohen is being so quiet in the other room. The moments when he actually keeps himself busy, I end up paying for later. Like when he painted most of the couch with my liquid (oil based) eye shadow and again with concealer. Its amazing what messes he can make in just a matter of minutes. My house is not that big, it's not like I am very far away, but all he needs is a wall separating us to get into mischief!
Cohen is also a grazer so I try to keep fruits and veggies, cheese, crackers and lots of other snacks available to him, but he still goes for the dog food or eats half a cube of butter whenever possible.
(Poopy Diaper Intermission)
Well that brings me to the next subject, potty training...
Cohen got his big boy potty last night! Our number one issue though is he doesn't care about having a wet diaper. He actually couldn't care less if he marinated all day! I think he needs some more time.
I hate to talk about all the trials with Cohen and then move on to what a good baby Ryder is, but that is the reality of life right now so that is how it goes!
Ryder is three months old now and has brought me so much joy among the chaos of layoffs, past due bills, new jobs, temper tantrums, holiday and family drama that I honestly don't know where I would be without him. The loony bin probably! This was probably the hardest year to have another baby, but he has been the best part of this past year, I can't imagine him not coming when he did. He is so smiley and even tempered and a breath of fresh air! Scott and I stare at him in amazement and awe, we didn't know it could be this... enjoyably easy.
Cohen had a rough start with him and even asked if he would "go bye bye to work" (like Daddy), but once I explained that babies don't work, they stay home with their mommy's he realized he was here to stay.
They are learning to enjoy one another. Cohen loves when Ryder smiles at him and he likes to hold him on occasion. Ryder loves to suck his fingers and look at his hands and especially watch Cohen as he bounces through the house.
I look forward to all the many years as a family and all the fun adventures we will have with these amazing little guys. Motherhood for me, is definitely a journey of extreme highs and lots of stumbles, but I hope my boys always know that being their mother is the very best gift and greatest accomplishment I feel I could have ever wanted.

4 comments:

Tara Long said...

That sounds like an adventure! I am so excited and scared now that we have number two on the way. You are such a cute little family!

Michelle said...

I can only imagine what you are going through. I think Dallas has hit the terrible two stage a bit early. He and Cohen sound a lot alike right now! Too bad we don't live closer we could get the little rugrats together!!

Michelle said...

Mmm...butter

Ashley Whimpey: The One with the Fairy Dust said...

Looks like you are doing such a great job at transitioning from one child to two! I'm glad that Ryder seems easy going. . .as that was not the situation with Cohen as a baby!! I remember he wouldn't even let you put him down! Oh, man. . .I miss that kid.