Saturday, April 19, 2008

Our New Addition!

Scott and I have been thinking about getting another dog for a while and after watching the Oprah show on puppy mills (see post below) I constantly thought about how we could give a homeless pet a good home. So I started looking at both of our local animal shelters and also went to the Humane Society in Murray and an adoption center in Salt Lake to see what was out there. I looked on the website Petfinder.com which has lists of thousands of dogs and other animals available for adoption through rescue groups. I also looked through KSL classifieds online searching the adds for people wanting to find new homes for their dogs. There were so many lab, border collie, pit bull and other mixes and pure breeds like these in every place I looked. At first I wasn't sure what breed we wanted, but we like so many things about mixes like Izzy because they don't shed, they are a good size and energy level for being an inside pet and are generally great with kids. We saw quite a few smaller dogs that people had purchased for their kids, then the kids mistreated them by being too rough and the dogs got nippy so then they ended up in the pound. I thought it would take a while for me to find a dog that Izzy got along with, that would be good with small kids and one Scott and I felt good about. I put my name on a couple lists through the shelters to be called if any dogs that met what we were looking for were dropped off. I was really surprised that it only took a couple days to find an incredibly sweet puppy that seemed to fit right in...

*Meet Lilly!*(It is hard to see her eyes in this picture since her hair needs to be cut!)
We adopted her last Saturday from the Lindon Animal Shelter!
She is a 5 month old shih tzu/poodle mix. She loves to play and explore the world! She is a very sweet puppy and is doing well with potty training. She is great with Cohen and she loves to rough house with Izzy!
She has soft black hair, brown eyes and I love how her chin, chest, paws and the tip of her tail are white!
Lilly was surrendered by her owners because the girl that purchased her said she didn't realize how much her husband hated dogs until she got one. (I think they had her less than three months.) Having another dog is a huge responsibility financially and time consuming since I try to take them on a walk everyday and play with them and Lilly has a barking problem and I am trying to train her on basic commands and obedience. I have been watching a series on the Discovery Channel called the DOG WHISPERER and it has really helped, I recommend it to anyone wanting to understand more about dogs. He gives great incite and training advice!
We are so excited we adopted Lilly and we love having her as a part of our family! There still are so many more homeless dogs that would make great pets just waiting to be adopted... It was hard to pick just one! I wish I could bring them all home!

6 comments:

Cal and Whit said...

Congratulations you Guys! She is so cute and it looks like Izzy is getting along with her too! I love that pic with both of them. So Cute! Congratulations.

Cori Carpenter said...

Cute!! It's good that Izzy gets along with her! I have watched the "dog whisperer" a couple of times...and he is pretty awesome! Congrats!

Coley said...

OH! They are both so cute! I want to get cute little dogs like yours but my husband is all about the big dogs. I will let you know who wins!

Steph said...

She is so cute! She looks a lot like Scuffy!

K. Bitton said...

You have such a good heart! I love dogs but I love them outside:) One day we'll get one when we have a house:) Thanks for the name suggestions! We have agreed on one but aren't telling anyone so it is still exciting when the baby gets here! :)

Michelle said...

I think getting a second dog was the best thing we did, although it was suppose to cure my baby hunger ha ha, I guess that didn't work. But at least our older dog has a good playmate now!