Monday, August 13, 2007

Two Months Old!

Dear Cohen,

Today you turned two months old. I intended on writing you a letter each month before you were born and I already missed your first month. Up to this point I have considered showering daily an accomplishment so it doesn't surprise me that I didn't get to it. I can remember our life before you came to us and I now know why I instinctively wanted you so badly for all of those years.
Before you were born I slept more than three hours at a time, but I longed to know how wonderful holding you and smelling your skin at 3 am could be. Before you were born your daddy and I had date nights several times a week, but I never knew how content I could be just staying home every night cuddling, bathing and feeding you. Having you here has given us more happiness than I could have imagined. It also has been a growing experience that has taught me that sleep is not quite as important as I once thought it was. I have learned that there is always something that needs to be done, but keeping everything clean isn't quite as important as I thought that once was as well. Instead I hold you a little longer and squeeze you a little tighter and kiss you a few more times because you are growing up faster than I thought possible! You have already changed from my newborn baby into a growing infant that is exploring the world through your eyes.
Some of the sweetest moments in the last couple weeks have been when you started smiling at us. And now each day I look forward to you waking up and hopefully showing me your open mouth, toothless grin.
The day you were born I nicknamed you our little pterodactyl because that is what your cry sounded like. Since then there have been so many things I have grown to love about you. I love watching you while you sleep. You are a very loud active sleeper and this haunted me at night the first few weeks until I became accustomed to your grunts, coos, moans, groans, barks and squeaks. Your eyes flutter as well and your mouth moves in sudden grins with sighs of happiness to huge pouty frowns with whines and whimpers. One of your daddy's and my favorite memories with you has been when you sang "opera" to us in your sleep.
We love to bath you. Most of the time you are very calm and content in the water, but occasionally you get worked up and use it as your own personal toilet. I love nursing you which you might have mixed feelings about this thought later in life, but I really enjoy the time we spend together. I love being able to provide you with the nourishment and comfort and the fact that I know you always need me every two to three hours is a comfort to me as well.
Cohen, you have given me the best gift I have ever received, the opportunity to be a mother. Your Mother.

Love, Mama

1 comment:

tracyjax said...

he's so stinking cute. come down here so I can hold him and give him kisses!