Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Cohen's Birth Story


My pregnancy had flown by after reaching the second trimester and I was still really enjoying having my baby safe inside me at 37 weeks. Over that last week I had become increasingly uncomfortable, but not enough for me to wish I was done. Then two weeks and five days before my due date I was asleep in bed at about 6:30 am when I turned from the left side to my right side and I felt like my water broke. I woke Scott up and we both figured it was a false alarm so I called labor and delivery to explain what I was experiencing and they told me to come in and they would check to see if it really was amniotic fluid.
At this time my hair wasn't washed like I wanted for labor day and my make up wasn't done like I wanted and my bag wasn't completely packed like I wanted and the house wasn't clean like I wanted, but everything about this pregnancy and baby was on it's own time schedule so it really shouldn't have surprised us. Once I got off the phone and told Scott that they told me to come on in he looked at me intently and we both realized what this meant... our baby was finally on his way! June 13th is Cohen's birth day! I then did what any person would do when they are going to have a baby within hours and did my make up! At this point in time we both forgot the English language and in incomplete sentences Scott and I tried to communicate and finish packing our bags. We frantically raced from room to room trying to remember every item that I thought I might possibly want. We also gave Izzy a couple bowls of food and water not knowing when Scott would be back to check on her (don't worry she has a doggy door to our back yard).
The ride to the hospital was exciting and scary and meaningful. This was the last ride we would take together only as a couple. The next time baby would make our family of three. We arrived at the American Fork Hospital in labor and delivery at around 8 am. I was having light cramping, but nothing I thought was labor. I was checked into Triage where they hooked me up to monitors to confirm I was having contractions and then they confirmed that my water had broke. I was dilated to a four and 100% effaced. Once they admitted us and we were in our room they placed my IV of petocin in to induce more contractions and to speed things up a bit. By 11 my mom had arrived with reinforcements (food) for Scott and music for me. At noon I started to feel more uncomfortable so I thought this would be a good time to ask for the epidural. (I think the IV was worse than the epi.) By 2 my two sisters arrived and some nurse upped my petocin level because I was hanging around at 5 cm. Things started to get really painful at this point which lasted over a half hour as before I was in a medicated lala land resting and enjoying my birth experience- besides one side effect of the epidural which caused me to feel itchy all over. My nurse had left to an emergency c-section and when she came back to find me in tears squeezing Scott's hand to a non-circulation status she asked who had turned the petocin so high because I was having contractions every minute that lasted a minute- yes, basically one big long constant contraction! She turned it down and they gave me an extra shot of pain meds where at this time I was able to rest a little more. At a little after 5 pm I was feeling the pressure to push so they got the nurse and when she checked me she said I was at a 9 ++ which means I am not fully dilated and had to try and hold in the pressure for over 15 minutes until I was a full 10 cm. This part was really hard for me. Scott was there holding my hand and leaning over closely to my face he lovingly guided me through controlling the pain and intense pressure I was feeling until the doctor arrived. (I really couldn't have picked a better labor coach!) I told our doctor I really needed to get the baby out of me NOW and he allowed me to push- yeah! Finally! Scott encouraged me and I pushed! After an episiotomy to avoid the tearing that had started his head came out and they told me to stop pushing so they could suction the fluid from his throat for his first breath! Next came his shoulders once I was able to push again, oh the lovely shoulders. Lets just say that I felt more than I thought I would... I wanted to scream, but I didn't because I was concentrating on getting that baby out- FINALLY!
At 6:07 pm Cohen Scott Green took his first breath and started his life with a amazingly reassuring cry. They laid my beautiful newborn son on my stomach and continued to clean him off. As you can imagine and we have all experienced, but just don't remember birth can be very frightening and so he did what any overwhelmed newborn would do and peed. After weighing him and measuring him they then swaddled him tightly and handed him to his daddy where Scott was able to hold our baby for the first time. He weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces (which Scott had guessed exactly earlier that day) and was 20 inches long and had a lop sided cone head from having his head turned slightly to the right as well as swollen eyes and a tongue that loved to continuously poke out. His skin still had the white coating, called vernix that protects them from their long bath, all over. He was so perfect and healthy and beautiful and everything I had hoped for and pictured and more that I could even imagine.
I am so glad you were born Cohen, the world wouldn't be the same without you...

No comments: