Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We are moving to BOSTON!


So, we just decided over the last couple days that we are going to take the leap and head to Boston, Massachusetts for the summer to sell alarms for APX!
There have been a lot of variables that have helped us come to this decision. A few things have also helped me feel comfortable with trying out a straight commission job... oh wait, Scott has already been trying to run his construction company in a crap economy for almost two years on straight commission! So the commission thing isn't too much of a worry. I think Scott will do great! We are going out with an awesome group that includes Scott's cousin Kevin Radebaugh and his wife Rachel. It will be awesome to already know someone! This will be Kevin's third year and it has helped us to see how he has been able to be successful.
There are also some major benefits in going to Boston compared to other cities. APX does a lot of research on the market and what cities would be most beneficial to sell in. The unemployment rate is really low in Boston at only 4% and the national average is 9%. It has basically been recession proof and APX is also the only company with licensing to sell in all of Massachusetts which cuts way down on any competition other states may have.
We are SO EXCITED to live somewhere else! I have been raised in Orem and I think this will be really good for me since I generally shy away from any form of change.
Scott's schedule will be different, but I think it will work out great. He will work Monday through Saturday (which he needs to be doing right now anyway) starting at noon with a meeting, come home for a quick lunch and then will be out knocking doors from 1 to 9 pm. Not as bad as I had thought originally. He will be busy, but if this gets us completely out of debt it will be so worth it!
I have never been to the east coast and am excited to experience it!
We will be leaving around the 20th of April and will be coming back at the end of August or beginning of September.

Has anyone been to Boston? It looks beautiful in pictures I have seen! Here are a few...

14 comments:

tracyjax said...

HOLY CRAP!

Heidi said...

I can't believe you're moving!! Even for a summer, East Coast is a big deal!! I lived in Boston for 7 years, however it was the FIRST seven years so I don't remember a whole lot. Will the company provide housing? 'Cause I do know that apartments can be crazy expensive out there. Keep us updated!

K. Bitton said...

How lucky!! We did pest control in San Diego for the first two summers we were married, but Jeff has said if he ever has to go back to a sales job he would do alarms for APX too. We have some friends that do it as well. You will have so much fun! I haven't ever been to boston but would love to go! It looks like a fun city! Good luck!!!

The Avery Family said...

I am glad you are able to experience new exciting things and that the decision is a great one for your family, but that doesn't make me happy that you are leaving! We love you guys so much and HAVE to see you before you go!

Alison said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Eric is a regional manager for Pinnacle! You could have been coming out with him! NOOOOO!!!! But boston is cool!

Alicia said...

The company is providing housing! The apartments are furnished as well so that really helps with the move.

Alison- we had no clue he worked for Pinnacle! Where is he going this year? Are you going with him?

We will miss everyone and will be excited to see everyone before we leave and when we get back! Thanks everyone for your positive feedback! :)

Michelle said...

That is so exciting!! YAY! I went through a bit of culture shock mmoving out of Utah, but you will love Boston I am sure. My nephew served his mission in Boston, and absolutely loved it. He said the meembers there were awesome. So I am sure everything will work out great for you!

Ashley Whimpey: The One with the Fairy Dust said...

Yeah for Boston! I'm so excited to join you guys out there. And b.t.w., I have TONS of pictures from my mish there, so I'll have to show you sometime. It is beautiful. This will be such a great adventure and I'm sooo glad you guys will be with us. Go Red Sox!

Raimo and Jessica Laitinen said...

yay that sounds like so much fun! what an adventure! Raimo and i wanted to do something like that! i hope you have fun- the pictures look great!

Sharon said...

Good luck you guys! It will be a great adventure I'm sure! I've never been to Boston but it would be neat to experience a different part of the country. Keep us updated!

Steph said...

I'm so excited for you guys! What an adventure!

Cal and Whit said...

Congrats guys! That sounds like it will be a great experience. I hear that Boston is amazing! Thank goodness we have blogs so we can still see how you guys are doing all summer long!

Chance & Leslee Lundgren said...

I have been to Boston, and it is one city I will NEVER forget! It was amazing, so was Virginia!! You will love it! Take lots of pics! Miss you girl, looks like we'll do our LONG awaited lunch when you get back! Best of luck!

nicopesci said...

Boston is blast Alicia - it just has a great feel to it. You've got to take the little guy to the Boston aquarium - it's one of the best in the country. And Quincy Market is always a lot of fun to visit. Just the culture and the close proximity to other places makes it such a great place.

We're actually going to Boston end of July, but we'll probably only be in the city one or two days. We're heading to Cape Cod after going to see my brother, who still lives in the town we grew up in prior to Utah.